Monday, October 12, 2015

ON THE NORTH SIDE ...... A new garden

         BEFORE.                 AFTER

Woodland Garden edges sometimes demand attention. The before and after picture of a small wedge shaped entrance garden, seen above off my gravel driveway, is nestled in the north facing 1/2 shade of the woods. 


It was time to transplant a few somewhat mature root bound evergreens out of containers that had given me pleasure for at least 5 years. 


And even though I had placed an unusual Hinoki Cypress as the sentinel into the main front courtyard, after twenty years it was blocking the view to the entrance of the house.  So, out it came. 


On one side of the gravel path to the courtyard Selaginella and Strawberry Begonia had made a happy home encroaching and narrowing the path by a good 18" over a two year period. 


I thought this band could be transplanted to make a great skirt to edge the newly cleared bed at the top of the wedge. Loosening it's roots was easy. I cut the inside edge to where the original path edge was and slipped my shovel underneath the growing roots. Then I began to role up sections to transfer. 



Marcus supervised. 


In a little under three hours I had a new shade garden entrance. see the edging along the bottom of the picture? It's a great time of year to transplant......the cooling weather, the moisture, the plants crying out for a change of scenery..... HA



No comments:

Post a Comment