Friday, October 23, 2015

HANDY OUTDOOR STORAGE FOR THE GARDEN


I consider my front porch as an important part of the entrance garden in my woodland. As you can see walking into the front courtyard the broken concrete path curves to the right leading to the front door under the roof elbow and situated to the left of the long narrow cavelike porch that tucks into the house. 


It faces east looking into a verdant woodland scene unlike the ancient caves at Bandelier National Monument that face west to capture the much needed warmth of New Mexico's winter sun. 


But, I digress a bit now to talk about the ongoing need for dry storage in the garden. This is one solution for a 7' X 2' X 4'1/2" cabinet that houses handy tools and seasonal decorations outside. 




Our house did not come with a detached garage, carport or storage building but it did have the 6' wide front porch tucked into the roof line. The depth accommodates a couple of rocking chairs.  At one end there was sort of a dead space between the kitchen window and end wall. 



I decided to build a rustic armoire to fill the space reminding me of a trip ( in my 20's) to New Mexico. I came upon 100 year old doors from a post office and began to build. The doors were made of Oak and the wood had become hard as iron with age, almost petrified ( I saw the Petrified Forest on that trip west, too.) The doors I used had the original hand forged hardware which added great character to the piece. 


All the joining had to be done with pilot holes and screws as the hard aged wood long since denied the penetration of nails. To keep it water tight and somewhat weather tight it was caulked inside with a silicone seal. 


My brother, nephew and I lfinished building and painting this beauty in a weekend. Now all I need is "Help in the Garden". 

No comments:

Post a Comment