Wednesday, October 28, 2015

MOVING MOSS


The Fall , for me, is the best time to establish a moss garden. As the temperature drops the mists and moisture rise from the ground. Leaves falling cover bare earth spots where you harvest.  Above was the mossy " slippery when wet " state of a stone path. So it was time to clean, restore and harvest the moss for a new moss pathway. Resident toads have found their winter hibernating homes in other places in the garden so I'm hoping they stay burrowed while I scrape and clean the stone surface. 


I have somewhat of a moss farm right in front of my house.  After 4-5 years a 40' long stone path and terrace on the North East side of the house is over 1/2 covered in moss. This will be the fourth harvesting of moss from this area  in the 20 years since the stone walk and terrace were built. 


A trusty spatula easily lifted the moss that was placed in alternate upside down stacks in a flat cart for transporting to its new location. 


Out came the brush broom and a combination of bleach and an enzyme cleaner.  


The sudsy mix looked like a waterfall. It stayed on the surface for an hour. I did this twice while I laid the new moss path. 


I raked away the mulch and debris down to the parent soil where I wanted the path;  watered the heck out of the path to make  a cushy sometimes muddy base.



Then I began placing the moss pieces. Once the path was full of moss I watered again and foot tamped it down. I always love this part. Besides being finished with bending over I feel like a kid again with no cares in the would except sloshing about in a puddle. I was careful not to kick the moss out of place as I sloshed all over it.  


The path looks a little lumpy but the moss will knit into place by springtime. 


WARNING: If you are in a healthy woodland filled with creatures of the night .... Protect the moss with a wire mesh of some type pinned over the moss so the those little brats don't tear it up trying to find bugs and grubs for their midnight snack. 


Three hours later I had a new moss path and a safe and cleaned stone walk. (Somewhat sterile looking, I admit) but, I won't have to wait long for the moss to re-cover the path again. 


What better reason to clean off a stone path than to have company coming to visit. I don't want to take any chances if them slipping and falling.  Isn't that when we get our houses the cleanest? No more ROCKS SLIPPERY WHEN WET!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment