Wednesday, October 28, 2015

CACOPHONY OF COLOR AND TEXTURE AS AUTUMN ARRIVES


I remember trying to learn that last layer of knowledge about the fall color of plants to incorporate into my landscape plans and struggling to keep spring, summer, fall and winter in my mind for each plant.  I now think that just about any fall color mixture is what Mother Nature intended. Fall color is here for such a short while, so focusing on leaf texture, plant shape and size plays more of a roll when final choices are made. Above are the leaves of our native Dogwood and Redbud embracing a jaunty Yellowwood reaching for the sun. 


In my gardens in the woodland I like it better to be utterly surprised and enthralled when the magic of the coloring leaves visits the senses every year.  I walked under the Sassafras on the upper right of the picture and didn't even notice it until I was turned around coming back on the same path. I love how it dangles above the big Canna Banana leaves in the foreground. 


If it's possible to back light a particularly vibrant fall leaf, go for it.  But, don't fret if you can't always do what the design books tell you. Here huge Paw Paw leaves face the southern sun opening in the trees. 


I took a turn around the woodland two days ago and saw colors I had forgotten about. I think the light of the sky was just right for me to see these beauties in my woods and at the edges dancing to the gentle southeastern breezes that bring such pleasurable weather to North Carolina in October. Starting from the driveway I was drawn toward the 4 year old Acer 'Bihou' shining against an evergreen background and the Honey Locust, Sumac combination on the right. 
Below are two shots from different angles of those trees. 


Cardinal Vine grounds this picture as it drapes over a quince. Below is the young Acer 'Bihou'

.

Turning around, the now 20' tall Coralbark Maple, is set against the sun and cradled in the arms of a China Fir. 
That streak of light coming in from the upper right corner is a spider's silk thread.  The foreground is filled with Abelia chinensis. 


Native Grapevine hangs with a spirit man leaf on a Winged Elm. Finely cut leaves catch the light in a chartreusey puff on a Vitex Tree and the creamy buff color of giant Solomon Seal leaves adds to the experience as they droop over the path. 


There is an abundance of early yellows in the air along with flaming orange and deep crimsons. 


Flaming vines, like torches, show themselves 30-40' in the air. 


A majestic Cornus florida with berries alongside the turning leaves. 


I get to enjoy the full display of a Winged Elm at the edge of my neighbor's west facing woodland edge. 


Looking up I see Tulip Poplar, Witch-hazel,  and Mulberry doing 'their own thing'. 


The show has just begun so I leave you with this southern edge picture of pastel perfection combining on their own and taking a very deep bow: Dog Fennel, a Sumac sucker and the very foreign Heptacodium myconoides, with the pink bracts hanging on to the curtain.  
After thought....
Those of you in the mountains... Zone 6.... Heptacodium bracts take on a deep red color. 







No comments:

Post a Comment